BLOG: Holy Cross Lutheran Church
24 April 2016
Saturday April 30 8:00 a.m. orientation at Holy Cross
At service locations 9-1
City-wide celebration time at Riverside Park following morning of service: hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, drinks, dessert provided
A Better Choice (abortion alternative clinic) 3007 E Central (near Central and Hillside)
Outdoor light labor: Remulch, pick up the litter on property, remove a shrub, weed and do light pruning. Need 6-8 able-bodied adults on April 30. Current volunteers: 1
Rainbows United Kids Point 3223 North Oliver (just south of K-96)
***We plan to be joined by several other churches in completing this project, with a total of 50 volunteers needed *** Current volunteers: 10
· Build an interactive Music Wall structure on the playground, covered with "instruments" like buckets, pans, washboards, spoons, wind chimes, etc. that the children can use to create sound and music.
· Roto-till the garden
· Attach a shade cover to the outdoor pergola
· Pick up trash, cut saplings, move large rocks, trim trees and low hanging branches.
· Spread mulch around trees.
· Plant plants in planters and flower beds.
· Fill in low areas in the toddler playground.
· Pull weeds and dead flowers.
· Paint/touch up playground equipment
· Stain the backboards of the double gate
· Sweep sand into playground
· Wash windows inside and out
· Sanitize toys
· Stain wooden benches and fences on playground
Lutheran Student Center 3815 East 17th Street (between Oliver and Hillside)
Need 4-6 adults to help clean out a brush row. Chain saws or other trimming tools needed. Current Volunteers: 1
Passageways a private, faith-based non-profit organization providing solution-based ministry services to the homeless and near homeless Veteran population Side note: the president of this organization is a member at Ascension Lutheran
Downtown Warehouse 815 N. Main
Place furniture items to be discarded in dumpster. Need 2-3 people with ability to lift and move furniture on April 30 for about 1 hour. Current volunteers: 2
At the home 438 S. Socora (Tyler and Maple area)
Sort and organize clothing and other donated items. Need 4-6 people age 8+ of any ability level on April 30. Can be done after the warehouse as “phase 2” if desired Current volunteers: 2
We would also like to provide meals and meal starters that can be frozen. These can be brought to Holy Cross by April 29 to be delivered on April 30. Please mark items “Passageways LOVE Wichita” when placing in the freezer.
Equipment needs: Please contact Barb Fiegenbaum if you can help
1-2 people with a pick-up truck and/or trailer to haul brush/tree trimmings from Rainbows to the dump on April 30
1 person with a pick-up truck and/or trailer to haul brush/tree trimmings from A Better Choice to the dump or to dumpster at Murdock/Water on April 30.
Pick-up truck and/or trailer to haul mulch to Rainbows on April 29
Post hole digger for use at Rainbows during the week of April 25-29
Wheelbarrows, yard carts, etc. for use at Rainbows on April 30